Thanks for the quick response. I'm afraid I don't know exactly what info
I would need to give for a diagnosis. I have just used the ecasound
custom-convert.conf supplied with the plugin. This shows (for flac)
endian=little bps=16 sample-rate=44100. What other settings do I need to
look at? The general set-up is max2play on raspberry pi with
squeezelite, SB touches and iPeng as players. The Pi is running ALSA and
all the ALSA and ecasound commands seem to work fine when executed from
the command line. As I said, the standard custom-convert.conf (for
arecord) works without modification - just occasionally I need to
restart squeezelite as it loses the sound and also the sound has a
tremolo effect if the cpu usage is 40% or more (and the whole thing
stops after about 3.5 hours, which I remember reading somewhere relates
to the arecord buffer). Playing files over LMS does not suffer from
these problems (even at quite high cpu usage), which is why I was
wondering the different buffering in ecasound might help. Previously I
was using Butt and Icecast on a laptop to stream the line-in, but that
was proving to be a pain as the laptop is not permanently connected. I
guess I could try and install a similar "broadcast" set-up on the Pi,
but it seems like overkill and the Waveinput approach seems so much
neater.
Apologies if this is still inadequate information, but I don't know what
else is "specific" about my set-up.