I consent to relicensing any and all the contributions I have made to the pmacct project - no matter how small these had been ;-)

Markus

Am 08.01.2020 um 14:52 schrieb Job Snijders:
Dear all,

current GPL license to a more liberal BSD-style license.

A few weeks ago I had the pleasure to spend some face time with Paolo,
which allowed for in-depth discussion about pmacct's current trajectory
and bright future. We concluded it would be in the best interest of the
pmacct project to attempt to relicense all code under a more permissive
BSD-style license, for mainly two reasons:

1) Faced with our own mortality, it became clear that succession
    planning is of paramount importance for this project's continued
    success. We contemplated what happens in context of intellectual
    property rights should one of pmacct's contributors pass away, and
    realized potential heirs won't necessarily desire involvement in this
    open source project, potentially hampering changes to intellectual
    property policies in the project's future.

2) We suspect there are entities who violate the terms of pmacct's
    current GPL license, but at the same time we don't wish to litigate.
    Instead of getting infringers to change their behavior, relicensing
    the project could be another way to resolve the potential for
    conflict: we see benefits to removing rules we don't plan on
    enforcing anyway.

Going forward, the preferred license under which we encourge people to
contribute new work is a variant of the ISC license (also used by the
OpenBSD project). The license template (to be used in file headers) can
be found here:

     https://github.com/pmacct/pmacct/blob/master/LICENSE.template

We need explicit approval from all contributors, and carefully keep
track of those agreements. If a contributor doesn't agree or answer,
we'll have to re-implement the contributed functionality or remove the
contribution from the code base.

REQUEST TO THE PMACCT CONTRIBUTOR COMMUNITY

If you have contributed to the pmacct project (your name may be listed
below), please consider a reply-all to this email expressing your
explicit consent (or disapproval) to change the license governing your
contributions to the pmacct project, to the following license:

     """
     Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software for
     any purpose with or without fee is hereby granted, provided that the
     above copyright notice and this permission notice appear in all
     copies.

     THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND THE AUTHOR DISCLAIMS ALL
     WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THIS SOFTWARE INCLUDING ALL IMPLIED
     WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE
     AUTHOR BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, DIRECT, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
     DAMAGES OR ANY DAMAGES WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM LOSS OF USE, DATA
     OR PROFITS, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE OR OTHER
     TORTIOUS ACTION, ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR
     PERFORMANCE OF THIS SOFTWARE.
     """

The next action in this process will be to individually follow up with
all contributors who didn't respond to the above request.

Once the relicensing effort has been completed, we'll tag the resulting
code base as pmacct version 2.0.0 and celebrate! Pmacct has many great
years ahead of itself; Paolo's enthusiasm to do so is evident in this
interview video :-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqmOcMAtGDM

Please feel free to raise any questions you may have on the
pmacct-discussion@pmacct.net list, or privately with me and/or Paolo.

Kind regards,

Job Snijders

DRAFT LIST OF KNOWN PMACCT AUTHORS (based on 'git shortlog -sen')
Commits Author <email>
    2921  Paolo Lucente <pa...@pmacct.net>
      52  Marc Sune <marcde...@gmail.com>
      20  Corentin Néau <corentin.n...@codethink.co.uk>