On Jul 16, 2009, at 07:06, Chris 'BinGOs' Williams wrote:

First off, thanks for all the patches, I've applied them all apart
from this one.

Yes, thank you for the patches, Mark. You're improving POE. And thanks, Chris, for reviewing and applying them. You're accelerating the improvement process.

Anyways, I see three options:

a). Make the functionality match the documentation;

b). Make the documentation match the functionality;

c). Do what dngor suggests and flatten ClientArgs, forget the socket
   and document as such.

Option C breaks both the implementation and documentation while realigning the code with its original intent. I think it's good to improve the design a bit, even if it breaks code.

The only code that will break is essentially using an undocumented feature anyway. While it's regrettable that the code and/or documentation hasn't been fixed until now, the hypothetical people who ran into the problem didn't report it.

I'll accept blame if the documentation was actually correct before the recent rewrite. In that case, I'd have to go with option B. I'd rather have option C, so I might consider deprecating the B-havior in the future.

--
Rocco Caputo - rcap...@pobox.com