Stefan Sperling, 19 Nov 2014 09:08:
> Code (no matter how old) riddled with security bugs should be removed
> if nobody steps up to fix them. Philip doesn't want to step up. I don't
> want to step up (I still use procmail at the moment but I'd rather look
> for better alternatives). You don't want to fix the code either.
> Nobody else raised their hand...

well, not yet.

> I don't think there's a discussion to be had. The same happened
> to userland ppp and other software with similar problems.

i think the procmail user base is a bit bigger than
userland ppp.  maybe if the need for a new upstream
maintainer becomes known in bigger circles,
someone(s) will step up.

if that does not happen for a while, then yes,
it is burried.

but even then, i think the port should not be removed.
most of the software in ports has bugs, so what.

but a new revision of the port should point out
that the package has issues and it is a security
liability.  it is up to the user if they accept
the risk.

-f
--
imagination is more important than knowledge. -- einstein