On 2014/11/19 07:09, Stephane Tougard wrote:
> I do not even imagine my life without procmail, I use it since 20 years,
> it's kind of basic Unix tool, documented and used everywhere ...
>
> Is it not possible to find a new upstream maintainer for such an
> important piece of art than just try to bury it ?

The internet is a very different place now than when procmail was being
actively developed. Coding practices have changed too. If someone like
Philip who is very familiar with the codebase says it has rotten, I for
one would not want it processing the amount of crap that arrives on port
25 today. I'm generally in favour of removing it from ports, it can come
back if a new upstream maintainer steps up, but seriously, if there was
someone with enough interest in procmail to take it on, why haven't they
already done so?

*but*... this will hurt people using it for lockfile (somewhat common
for shell scripts) - this could be split off easily - and formail -
I suspect this may be subject to some of the same problems.

Alternatives to procmail(1): sieve has been mentioned, and the
implementation that I'm familiar with is good, but it does need admin
setup and, for some, a change of MTA. fdm can run in the same "process
mail from stdin" role as procmail (as well as pulling from pop3/imap) so
that might be a good option.

Is there an alternative to formail(1)? I'm not aware of one.
If someone wants to step up to tackle this codebase (audit/update or
rewrite), I think formail is the best place to start.