On 11/19/2014 03:47 AM, frantisek holop wrote:
> but even then, i think the port should not be removed.
> most of the software in ports has bugs, so what.

So what?

Well, for starters, procmail runs on the (rather large) POSIX family of
systems.  It may not run on all members of the POSIX family, but I am
aware of very few packages which are /that/ portable.  That said, POSIX
drives the Internet.  It drives business.  Even for those who never
place their hands on a smartphone, or a tablet, or anything but a
Windows computer, POSIX is a critical part of global infrastructure.

Global infrastructure---especially software such as the Linux and BSD
family, and anything else for which source code is openly and freely
available---should be as secure and robust as possible.  "So what?" is
never an acceptable attitude toward a bug, IMHO---whether it is a data
loss or a security bug.

Yes, there _are_ bugs that are nothing but a nuisance.

But I would argue that even though I don't have an active set of
installed Windows systems at my beck and call (I have _one_, and it's
powered off 99% of the time, actually), the many and varied
vulnerabilities in Windows have made my life---and probably the lives of
many of us with both feet in the free software world---quite difficult.
 Security vulnerabilities from other-people's-systems affect all of us,
particularly when they're on a grand scale.

So, not "so what?", but rather, if you care about the software enough to
see it stick around, see what you can do to become involved with it.

Alright.  I'm off my soapbox now.

        --- Mike

--
Michael B. Trausch                            Fortified Tech Systems LLC
                         P: (404) 692-6078 or (844) GR8-TECH (Toll Free)

http://www.fortifiedtechsystems.com/