On 2015-12-16 05:04, j...@wxcvbn.org wrote:
Tinker <ti...@openmailbox.org> writes:

What would the decision be based on?

I think that those points should be enough.
- good reasons to use ICU in boost, not just "I need the ICU parts of
  Boost.".  What would be the benefit for the ports tree?

I need normalize() to do Unicode normalization!

E.g. within locale(BC_LOCALE_UTF8).

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/libs/locale/doc/html/group__convert.html

Boost.Locale requires Boost to be compiled with --with-icu , http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_59_0/libs/locale/doc/html/index.html says:

"In order to achieve this goal Boost.Locale uses the-state-of-the-art Unicode and Localization library: ICU - International Components for Unicode.

Boost.Locale creates the natural glue between the C++ locales framework, iostreams, and the powerful ICU library."

(Then it continues "Boost.Locale provides non-ICU based localization support as well. It is based on the operating system native API or on the standard C++ library support. Sacrificing some less important features, Boost.Locale becomes less powerful but lighter and easier to deploy and use library." - but, there's an issue here that the C++/OS-bundled unicode normalization may be incomplete or broken so this is why you want ICU.)

- someone has to do the work, and that includes checking for potential
  breakage.

Right, Kirill said you are looking into this already now

Everyone just rolling thumbs or is there any real tradeoff?

You tell us. ;)