Barney Desmond wrote:
2009/11/15 Jeremy Bowen <jer...@smartpoint.co.nz>:
I'm running Postfix v2.5.6 which I compiled myself from unmodified
sources. (postconf -d appended below)

Anyway, you need to post the output of `postconf -n` (settings that are
non-default) -
read the help, it tells you that -d shows the defaults, which are
useless for diagnosis. I'm not sure where people get this from...
Actually the output I posted was from postconf -n. The "-d" was a typo. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that one domain is used for a few mailing lists
handled by a mailman installation running on a separate server. This is
handled by an entry in the transport file.

That sounds like that domain is a candidate for classification as a
relay_domain. Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but is that
how you've got it configured? If you don't change too many settings,
you generally already get recipient verification for designated
"local" domains.
That part of the system isn't the problem and is working perfectly well. (Yes, it is a relay, handled in the transport file)

I have a prolem with the new domain I added to the server and it is this new domain which is doing verification probes to my ISP.