--- Alan wrote:

> IF the "reason" for requiring the so called standard configuration
> is to be considerate to people who might want to try shared scripts,
> one can only gasp at the lack of logic.

Well, I do believe that this was the very reason for Standard
Configuration's birth. It obviously hasn't worked out that way though.

Thankfully, Bruce has catered for this with a set of functions that
allow the scripter to disregard the user's choice of character.

> If you are able to, it really would be kinder to avoid using any
> escape char in uploaded scripts.

In this case I will definitely look into it and start scripting in
such a way.

> I wrote an alternative ColorPicker, thinking that would be less work
> than rewriting all of my config and scripts to cope with \ acting as
> an escape char. It was quicker to write a new one from scratch than
> attempt to correct all that code in ColorSpy.

I would be very interested in seeing your code if you don't mind
posting it.

> In fact it is based on logic and observation of the considerable
> amount of time which has been and continues to be wasted by that
> unfortunate decision of the "standard configuration" using \ for
> escape.

I know that this has been discussed before, but what was the final
reasoning for choosing the backslash as the standard escape character?

I think (but I'm not sure) that it's because programming languages
such as PHP, Perl, C, Java, JavaScript, etc. (if I'm not wrong) use
it, and most of the people that voted for it (myself included) came
from a programming background.

I do understand why the use of backslashes as escape characters can be
so confusing, especially when file paths are around. I simply forget
that this is an issue whenever I script because I am perfectly
comfortable with it. I concede that this is a bit self-centred.

-- 

Alex Peters / Melbourne, Australia
PowerPro v4.1.00 / Windows XP



------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
$9.95 domain names from Yahoo!. Register anything.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/JV_rlB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

Attention: PowerPro's Web site has moved: http://www.ppro.org 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/power-pro/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to