Sheri will probably not read this for a couple of weeks (have a nice
leave!) but this could be of interest to the other RE freaks who hang
around here:

Sheri wrote:
> http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/power-
> pro/files/Documentation/pcrepattern.zip

Right, I remember that file now... do you think I should distribute this
or possibly the whole HTML doc with the plugin?
I'm not very good at documentation (especially when I'm not even trying)
and I can't for the life of me guess what docs people would find useful.
The doc you adapted seemed too technical and largely irrelevant at
first glance. I wish I could point people to a more generic and
newbie-friendly introduction to regular expression as well as a more
concise PCRE reference for the people who know what they're doing.

> It certainly raises some questions, like how can we access named 
> captured substrings?

The interface I'm using doesn't support this. My plugin isn't supposed
to be a PCRE wrapper but rather a generic regular expression library
wrapper. In fact, I didn't link it to PCRE at first (that was Luciano's
idea).
I don't like the idea of switching to the PCRE interface in order to
implement all sorts of fancy PCRE-specific features and I hate to think
about how much of the code I'd have to throw out... you'd have to do a
whole lot of convincing to change my mind.
Of course, I'm not stopping anyone from doing such a plugin. Also, I
gather that the DLL plugin is getting better and better... so you don't
necessarily need a wrapper to use a library anymore.

> Also, PCRE supports Callouts, which would be a way of inserting some 
> PowerPro script language in the middle of a replacement clause if 
> implemented. It would enable easy counting of global replacements, 
> changing the case of replacement text, etc.

Same issue here.
Could you provide a usage example where callouts would actually be
useful? Counting replacements is easy enough to do without callouts for
example.



Attention: PowerPro's Web site has moved: http://www.ppro.org 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/power-pro/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/power-pro/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to