--- In [email protected], Julien Pierrehumbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
wrote:
>
> >  Personally, I'm rather against using CRLF as newline,
> > at least with the current implementation in PCRE.
> 
> I'm also rather against it even if implemented
> properly... but I also believe in freedom all that good
> stuff so I was planning to provide both builds and let
> the user pick and choose (assuming the CRLF build it
> turns out to be useful of course).

Only one version gets distributed with PowerPro. I don't see a
downside to it being the CRLF version. Both versions work with
lookaheads and lookbehinds in my limited testing (would like some info
on what was referenced in the old plugin documentation), and with both
versions you can use a custom character class instead of dot. But with
the CRLF version you can also use ^ and $ as assertions for
start-of-line (or string) and end-of-line (or string) with multiline
input and have them perform as expected. If not using the (?m) option,
both already use ^ and $ as start and end of string.

Also, I don't see what difference it makes if CRLF is two characters
per the regex plugin unless the plugin is manipulating them.

The FILE plugin manipulates them except unless you use readall and
writeall. That is, if file plugin sees a \n character in a string it
is appending to a file, it adds a \r even if there is already a \r).
So if you want the pure regex output in a file, it is important to use
the writeall service.

Regards,
Sheri

Reply via email to