Marlyse,

Here's what I do. I usually don't like defining global variables. I
define a global variable at the beginning of the script

global: "theText"

tell application "PowerMail"
  set theText to the selection  --if that works then it's really simple
end tell

I find this takes care of the problem between passing variables between
different tell statements. See if that works for you. If PM doesn't like
the assignment of the variable from the selection you'll have to figure
something else from the message that you want to capture (From, Subject,
whatever) and assign that in the usual fashion. I think defining a global
variable will make the difference for you here.

--
Andy Fragen