Title: Keith Brian Gallagher, PhD
i'll bite

i'm not sure intuition exists. i went to dictionary.com and got this about intuition: "the ability of the native speaker to make linguistic judgments, as of the grammaticality, ambiguity, equivalence, or nonequivalence of sentences, deriving from the speaker's native-language competence." it seems that the evidence below confirms this understanding of intuition, so perhaps programming paradigms ought to be taught to the intuitiveness of the learner...

more random contributions:
1. when a light switch is tilting up, is it on or off? asks the american in england...
2. i remember -having to read a manual- to learn how to use a mouse in 1981. drag-and-drop / double-click etc etc were not "intuitive" then. now they are...
3. people learn the way they learn.
4. anybody out there still struggling w/ predictive text input?

like i said, i'm not sure intuition exists....

 -keith

William Billingsley wrote:
If the plural of "anecdote" is "empirical evidence", then I'd suggest it's not as simple as that.  In Cambridge, the first language taught was ML (a functional language).  Over around five years, I tutored around sixty students in Java, which was the second language taught and also a compulsory part of the syllabus.  One of the first tutorial questions I used (borrowed from the back of the lecture notes) asked the students to compare ML to Java.  What I found in my anecdotal experience was a split between the very mathematically-focused students (who found ML easier) and the remainder who seemed to find Java easier to understand.  No, we didn't go into the depths of the Java memory model or out-of-order execution optimisations as this was a first year course.

In short, even though ML was taught first, the bulk of the students I came across still seemed to make those comments about imperative being easier.  Whether they changed their minds after the second year compilers course (where they'd learn about all those wrinkly optimisations), or even after concurrent programming (where functional techniques can make life easier) I couldn't tell you.

However this probably hasn't helped your search for citable evidence,

William