Back in PPIG 99, I dreamt up something called 'spatial complexity metrics'
which is quite different to McCabe and Halstead's work.
http://www.ppig.org/workshops/11th-programme.html  (I hope you don't mind my
scurrilous trumpet blowing ;) )

In the paper, I kind of said, 'there's a bit of work to do here', and just as
Derek said, guess what, the basic metric correlates with lines of code :)
According to some later studies, one of the metrics also correlates with McCabe
too (which perhaps isn't too surprising).  I agree: information content is the
key.

Whilst I seem to remember that some complexity metrics (and, please feel free
to correct me if I'm wrong) are correlated with money, I'm too looking for
studies which kind of connect complexity within the notion of cognitive
complexity (whatever that may be).

One of the exploratory sideshows I'm currently working on is trying to see
whether there is any correlation with perceptual complexity, and different
complexity measures.  Time will tell if I manage to get anything on paper for
the PPIG WIP in January...

An interesting discussion :)

Cheers,

Chris