On 23 March 2010 13:55, Lindsay Marshall
<lindsay.marsh...@newcastle.ac.uk> wrote:
>> I think that the role of creativity in programming is vastly
>> overestimated.
> I have to disagree, I think it is vastly underestimated.

I think I am with Lindsay here, but perhaps we are working with
different definitions of the (rather difficult to define) word
`creativity'.

>> Most algorithms are very simple and frequently used.
>> In fact developers seem to have a small repertoire of techniques
>> they use most of the time.
>
> Which is also what composers do (since that has been used already, but also
> painters - a better analogy in IMHO). It's what makes your style.

A very good point.  A style is like a dynamic set of constraints or
ways of building, and it's the development of style that signals
creative behaviour, I think.

However, my example wasn't an analogy, you can improvise/compose music
by programming (e.g. http://vimeo.com/2433947 ).  The same goes for
painting (e.g. AARON, Aikon).  You don't have to like these works, but
I think you have to admit that they are music and they are paintings,
made by programming.

> Painters often exhibit a work and then later repaint parts of it, or leave
> them sitting in corners and keep going back to them over and over again.

Yes, my sister has painted circular paintings over a year, slowly turning them.

Best wishes

alex

--
http://yaxu.org/

--
The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt
charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).