It strikes me that perhaps we emphasize the role of creativity too
much in the arts. How much of what we term creativity is due to insane
expertise and breadth of knowledge? Cezanne had not only a new take on
capturing light, but also tremendous ability with the medium he'd
chosen (both learned and inherited, I would assume).

The film "It might get loud" shows three guitarists, all of whom I
would deem creative geniuses, demonstrating very clearly the
importance of repetition and hard work in their success.

In a similar vein, I think there are journeyperson programmers and
master programmers. If the latter are fortunate enough to be in the
right situation (I think the App Store for IPhone is a good example of
a 'creative ecosystem' for software), truly inspired creations can
arise.

Perhaps another interesting question can be posed: who is responsible
for creativity in physical buildings (an overused analogy in software,
but perhaps relevant here)? Is it the architect, who sketches the
shape on a napkin? Or the engineer, who determines how to make the
bulging metal protusions watertight? Or the metalworker who derives a
new tool to weld the pieces together?