Hi Russel,

I did a pilot study along those lines a couple of years ago,
attempting to compare performance with the Actor model, Transactional
Memory and traditional mutex locking. (Not quite the precise
distinctions you're looking for, but at least in a similar ballpark.)
17 subjects attempted a simple unstructured grid problem in an
afternoon - measuring time taken, NCLOC, and subjective responses on a
questionnaire afterwards.

The upshot was those metrics turned out to be pretty much completely
uncorrelated (r^2 < 0.07 in all cases), and the only results to reach
anything close to statistical significance on any metric were (1) that
people completed tasks faster on the second trial, and (2) that people
claimed to prefer the novel paradigms to mutex locking in the
after-task questionnaires. The former is crushingly obvious, and the
latter is subject to a number of obvious biases.

(I also noticed an odd bifurication in finishing times - subjects
either finished the task in half the time allotted or didn't manage it
at all, but this is irrelevant to your question :) )

The paper is entitled "Empirically Investigating Parallel Programming
Paradigms: A Null Result", and is available online at:
http://ecs.victoria.ac.nz/twiki/pub/Events/PLATEAU/2009Programme/plateau09-luff.pdf

To my knowledge, at the time of writing, there was no work published
more recent or applicable to your query than the supercomputing
studies I cited in the Related Work section. (There has been a more
recent study of TM vs SMTL in an undergraduate-assignment setting - I
don't have the reference but could grub it up for you if you wanted.)

Meredydd