Hi Meredydd

Brave effort.

How someone doing something on understanding these programs? I always found that experiments on understanding programs were much easier than ones on writing programs. Far less inter-subject variability. Now that you have suitable materials, it might be possible for someone to have a go at that? People like Judith Good and Paul Brna have worked out good techniques.

As you point out, maintaining programs is a big part of their life- cycle, so results on understanding would be valuable. And part of the scaling issue for constructing big programs is the need to understand what has already been created (even if by yourself).

As for the high variability and the apparent bi-modality: Keith Stenning and others have argued that successful problem solving depends heavily on the external representation adopted for the problem. He and Richard Cox did a big study on students doing scholastic aptitude problems, which are well normed I understand, and showed very convincingly that only students who chose an appropriate representation solved a given problem. I can't remember whether they were able to get several problems per student and show that same students were perfectly successful on other occasions when they did choose an appropriate representation.

So I would suggest, as a possible explanation, that the two humps may not be because some of your participants were in any way inferior, but that they unluckily set off on the wrong track and never recovered.

Did you debrief them about strategies, or collect their working notes, or anything like that? If so, you could check that out.

Thomas Green