On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 6:37 AM, Thomas Green <green...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> How someone doing something on understanding these programs? I always found
> that experiments on understanding programs were much easier than ones on
> writing programs. Far less inter-subject variability.
At the expense, of course, of systematic variability between
conditions. How were you thinking of controlling for that?

> Now that you have
> suitable materials, it might be possible for someone to have a go at that?
Anyone who wants them is welcome to my materials, protocols and
intermediate results. I might even be open to a more active
collaboration. However, I have since run off and started doing "hard"
implementation work on STM systems, so I am unlikely to be pushing
this work any further on my own.

> As for the high variability and the apparent bi-modality: Keith Stenning and
> others have argued that successful problem solving depends heavily on the
> external representation adopted for the problem. He and Richard Cox did a
> big study on students doing scholastic aptitude problems, which are well
> normed I understand, and showed very convincingly that only students who
> chose an appropriate representation solved a given problem. I can't remember
> whether they were able to get several problems per student and show that
> same students were perfectly successful on other occasions when they did
> choose an appropriate representation.
I'm not sure how you'd faithfully observe the external representation
of a program - heaven knows it would help my teaching if I had some
systematic way of extracting it from the students and dissecting it!
Is there prior work on this?

> So I would suggest, as a possible explanation, that the two humps may not be
> because some of your participants were in any way inferior, but that they
> unluckily set off on the wrong track and never recovered.
>
> Did you debrief them about strategies, or collect their working notes, or
> anything like that? If so, you could check that out.
I collected their working notes - of which they kept virtually none -
and 1-minute-interval snapshots of their source tree so as to see how
their programs developed. (Compiler and program invocations were also
recorded, along with their output. There's also a video of the
participant and a screen recording of each session.) Crude measures
like graphing "lines added/removed", "LOC touched/minute", etc over
the experimental period didn't reveal anything. After a while I felt I
was grubbing around in the tiny details looking for something
signal-shaped because all the more obvious metrics were showing
garbage, and decided to give up and write up the null finding. As I
say, I'm happy to share the data if someone wants to dive deeper.

Meredydd