Sorry to the group if that last e-mail came off as rant'ish.

I think some focus on studies would be nice, but why does it feel like (to
me) that we are aimlessly picking "this versus that" studies?

I would start instead by using expert knowledge, and work from there.  For
example, parallelism expert Guy Blelloch has some very bossy opinions about
how we should be educating students to program multicore machines.  Why not
conduct a study to validate that his approach produces better programmers?
To me, that's interesting, because you are taking advantage of what a world
expert thinks and then using your knowledge about how to conduct studies in
order to say, *Wow, look what the students learned doing it this way!*

The problem with this versus that studies is that ultimately they have
proven to be limited to the task they measure, and cannot be extrapolated to
larger projects.  Studies asking the same question, but using different
tasks, have consistently produced different results!

--
The Open University is incorporated by Royal Charter (RC 000391), an exempt
charity in England & Wales and a charity registered in Scotland (SC 038302).