On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Ken Dibble <krdib...@stny.rr.com> wrote:

>> I find restricted, single-path-through-the-task interfaces to be
> annoying. Not everybody thinks or works most efficiently along the same
> path. Plus you never know how close you are to being done with those
> things, and sometimes going "back" doesn't work so well if you really need
> to see the data you've entered in different steps at the same time--or you
> get interrupted and forgot what you did back in Step 3.
>
> I try to organize things logically and certainly I set tab order sanely
> (though a suprising number of computer users don't know how to use the tab
> key or simply refuse to do so when you tell them it's available -- "Oh, I
> like using the mouse.")
>
> In a larger sense I don't think it's always a good idea to hide complexity
> from people. They get hooked on the illusion that things really are simple,
> and they expect everything to be simple. I am so tired of decision-makers
> who can't read a few pages of text to gain a nuanced understanding of an
> issue and instead demand five or few bullet points.
>
> When people expect things to be simpler than they are, we should not
> struggle and sweat to make them appear that way. We should tell them there
> is such a thing as irreducible complexity in the world and sometimes
> understanding details is important.

Here's one of my favorite interfaces. it takes three people to run it. I
spent over a year learning how to operate the right-third, and another few
months to run the left-third:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/0864504.jpg

It's as simple an interface as can be made for the complexity of the
application. It was designed by engineers in the 50s but has held up pretty
well.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC