On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 3:41 AM, Michael Madigan <mmadi10...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I would just reboot it again.
>
> Every couple of months I'll get a call on a Wednesday that my software is
> slow, and every time I tell them to reboot the servers and everything is  OK.
>  I've never seen it ask for another restart before.
> Now i send them an email on Tuesday to reboot their servers on Wednesday, if
> it's slow.

Good idea. I've pretty much worn out the power switch. Windows ALWAYS
should be rebooted after updates, I think, because the MS engineers
just don't understand how all the caching and retained-in-memory.-DLLs
and write caching and such actually work in the real world of
heterogenous machines, OSes, etc.

The biggest problem with this one is all the background processes.
With a high-end processor, too much RAM and HDD, the machine loads
~100 processes at startup, and stuff starts updating and caching and
so forth. Without digging into the Task Manager, there's no clue to
the operator that anything is happening other than the machine is
really slow and unresponsive.

One of our clients calls after every second Tuesday complaining the
app fails on startup with an "goDataManager is not an object error"
message, despite the fact that we've told them for 10 years that means
a network share is disconnected, and they should go into their Windows
Explorer and click on the red X's