Rick Strahl just recently blogged on the same subject:

"Recently I've once again have felt incredibly overwhelmed by all the
new stuff that's arrived since .NET 3.0 got released and trying to put
it into perspective of building real usable applications. And getting up
to speed on the various technologies. The benefits of most of the .NET
3.0 stuff is immediately obvious, but getting proficient in the 4
pillars isn't exactly a piece of cake.

More specifically where to put my energy and focus? There's so much new
stuff to learn and piece together. So much stuff - much of it half baked
- and more arriving all the time."

If someone like him feels the pain, what hope for the  rest of us?

After quite a while spent on the fence I've decided against pursuing
.Net - the whole thing is such a behometh that you have to either buy
into it totally (and take whatever MS throws at you) or walk the other
way ...

--
Cheers