> I agree with this person.  I really don't have much of an interest in
> social networking.  I'm looking at it thinking "Ok, how is this going to

Agreed, Social networking... is just like a bar on the computer. I don't
care for most of them. And let's be blunt... most of the folks in front
of a computer these days have no idea how to appropriately interact
electronically. Look at the asshole factor on the UT vs the more
congenial atmosphere here.

I think some of us were badly spoiled when our first major computer
community was the FoxForum on CIS. Kind of like growing up in Boston
when the Celtics won about 50 titles in a row. Modern sports just ain't
the same.

> I know Whil and Ed "tweet" but I took a look at twitter about a couple
> months prior to Whil asking about it, and I just didn't see the value
> proposition.  It seemed like another geek-fest.  Should I care what other
> people are thinking?  After all, it's just a thought...they could change

Here's my take on Twitter - I actually wrote about this a few months ago:

http://www.hentzenwerke.com/misc/twitter.htm'

The salient part is this:

"Remember back when you were in college and a lot of your conversations
were short exchanges w/ friends? "Hey, did you hear Cahill got a ZERO on
his DiffEq midterm!" "Gonna go drinking with us tomorrow night?" "I just
smoked Professor Carlson in racquetball!" "Whoa, the new Civil
Engineering secretary is wearing a sweater you have GOT to see." (I went
to an all-male engineering school.)

You keep up with your friends and associates on a day to day basis via
short messages, not long heartfelt conversations."

I also like to follow interesting people and see what they're up to.
Getting exposed to things without having to read long, long, long, long,
long blog posts only to find out that at the end of their mini-murder
mystery, I don't care whodunnit.

Twitter is a nice way to stay in touch with folks and, like Ed said, get
exposed to things from out of the way places.

> Here's the way I see it:  If you're an independent software developer, I
> could see the value so as to increase your # of contacts because you're
> livelihood is totally in your hands and you may soon need to find that
> next paying client (which I can completely understand folks like Whil
> doing it).  For the employee folks, I guess it's good to keep your options

If a customer contacted me because of what I was tweeting about, I'd run
away. :) Twitter has nothing to do with 'contacts' for me. Linked-In, maybe.

> wasted their time investment.  I'm reminded on a time back in the 90s when
> Robert Green recommended I pursue Visual InterDev, but all signs were
> already pointing to it being replaced in the very short term back then.
> That's another reason why folks got so pissed with M$.  They'd recommend
> something just to replace it a very short time later.  Now THAT is the
> appeal of stuff like Python (unless I'm mistaken).  It doesn't seem to
> have a radical change life.  Am I wrong in that pov?

Absolutely. I'll never trust MSFT again just for that reason. As soon as
you adopt v 1.5, their marketing dweebs start making fun of you because
you're not using 2.0 (that is actually still in beta.) Fuckers.

> I'd like to hear the opinions of folks here on the VALUE of social
> networking, and a compelling argument of WHY an IT professional should
> social network (beyond what I've mentioned).

I think being familiar with these things is a good idea, just so you
have an idea of what's current. While Facebook integration may not be a
module you need to add to Fab-Mate any time soon... the kids using
txting and MySpace now will be making the purchasing decisions in 10
years and authorizing budgets in 20. :)

Whil