>> Remember, you only see the tweets of those you choose to follow; I think of
>> 'twitter' as short
for 'twit filter' sometimes!<<

Should I be worried that I had the same exact thought? <g>

>> I have always enjoyed learning about new stuff. Twitter, IMO, is an
>> excellent way to get exposed
to new stuff that is likely to be interesting and relevant. Oh, and sometimes
fun, too.<<

Well put Ed. I agree. I was skeptical when I started out. It is the nuggets of
information and the
ability of my mind to look at both sides of any discussion that have helped
Twitter bring value to
my life.

You also might get a different perspective of people you know. For instance,
Rick Strahl struggles
with development like regular developers. Who would a thought?

Phil Sherwood was microblogging the Business of Software conference. I was very
jealous because I
wanted to go, but my schedule was not allowing it to happen. His tweets made me
look up some stuff
and I have it tucked away in the WLC KB.

One silly example of something where Twitter helped me out in a big way. I was
tweeting about some
problems with the USPS screwing up my snail mail in a big way. Not long after
this I got an email
with some suggestions on where to go and how to present my case to get some
resolution. I was
venting/ranting, yet I got solutions.

My suggestion is to try something like Twitter for 2 weeks. Worst case
scenario, you dump it and
lose a few minutes a day reading the dribble of the people you follow.

I have a Facebook account, LinkedIn account, a new Plaxo account too (other
"social networking"
venues). I am not sure the value these bring yet, except the LinkedIn account
allowed me to search
down some former co-workers that I lost touch with. Not sure that would have
happened another way.

Rick
White Light Computing, Inc.

www.whitelightcomputing.com