On 11/4/08, Ricardo Araoz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So you have to learn XHTML, CSS, Javascript, how they integrate, plus
> some php (?). Add to that the lovely little traps Billy has set in IE.

You can choose to learn nothing new.

XHTML is fairly simple, and consistent. CSS is downright elegant, once
you get your head around it. Javascript is quite a powerful language.

There are some messy tricks sometimes, far less now than there were a
while ago. But if you've hacked report writer DBFs or used the phantom
records, you've done tricks equally intricate.

> Hmmm. Get Python and it runs on those three. And you only have to learn
> one language (and it is a pleasurable experience).

Unless you want a UI. Then you need to learn wx. (Or Qt, or...) and
then a report writer language. And the SQL/DDL for the database.
There's always parts.

VFP integrated in a DDL,  low-level file functions, interface
terminology, a merge (template) language and SQL _into_ VFP and
claimed it was all one language. Was it one language or one product
with several domain-specific languages integrated into it? It's an
angels-on-a-pin argument for linguists, perhaps, but the point is that
you're always integrating in different pieces that have to be handled
their own way, whether that's Stonefield's Data Dictionary with
CodeBook with Mac's PowerTools and Tim Rettig's utilities.

Or XHTML, CSS and Javascript.

> Yes, a beautiful back end. And so user friendly. Especially when you
> have to interact with data.

A lot of people seem to have no problem operating Amazon.

> But you'd better design your ui with cellphones in mind, or it will be a
> pain. Same thing with desktops.

Separate structure from markup, just as you separate business objects
from UI logic. New mobile devices supporting standards like XHTML-MP
(Mobile Profile) and libraries to detect and render it abstract away a
lot of the complexity of doing that.

>> And more! It outputs a well-defined text format that can
>> be indexed, sorted, cross-referenced and made to be part of a greater
>> whole.
>
> You mean a grid?

No, XML, a document, easily internationalized, recognized and
validatable standard format. Entire documents can be downloaded,
parsed, analyzed and categorized for content, keywords and, with the
Semantic Web, meaning so that your site can advertise itself to search
engines.

>> There's room for many solutions to our many challenges.
>>

> I know. I just dislike all the hassle and integration of disparate
> things you have to do with web apps.

And desktop apps are different? You have to bring down and create the
data structures (or ODBC to connect to a remote backend), bring down
your supporting runtimes, ActiveX controls, register your apps and COM
interfaces on the Registry, get a shortcut on the desktop and the
Start Menu...

>  If I need my app to reach far away
> places I can always do it with a desktop app and web services or a
> desktop app in a VPN depending on the requirements.

So, now you're writing a web services app and a desktop app?

> And if "you'd like all the world to run" your app, you can make it
> available for download and provide the web service.

And do you think that everyone on the Internet should download things
they find up on the Internet and install them on their desktop
machines? Most corporate desktops are locked to prevent just that.

Given a choice between a lightweight web page and a 20-30 Mb download
to install, which would you prefer?

> I give it to you that nowadays you'll have much better success with a
> WWW app with the general public. But I think business might eventually
> go the other way.

Again, it depends on the application and your target market.

> Bottom line, I can't bring myself to learn that messy shit. ;-)

That's an interesting perspective.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC