Stephen Russell wrote:
> What?  a db is just a service that your application calls.  It is data
> storage and some rules.

Some folks would prefer the rules in a business object instead of the
database.  Me, I prefer a little of both.  The rules in the data side
are to force instant field validation of values.  However, I should say
that since I've switched over to using MySQL on the backend about 4
years ago, I've not had rules in the db, but instead had the BizObj take
care of the validations.  No problems with that approach so far for me.

> A web app has the power of change.  Quick change, across the world
> with very little impact on your infrastructure when you do.  The
> ability to add another language allowing your app to open up another
> market is easy in a web environment.

That's a valid point.  It's definitely an easier deployment since you
just update the common page that everyone is using.  Of course,
hopefully you're pilot went well so you just didn't wreak havoc on all
of your installations causing you to seek ledges on tall buildings.  ;-)

> CSS to control the look of your site is fantastic.  Making a change in
> that layout will save you from hitting every form in your winform
> system.

Well, if you've subclassed your controls properly, winforms are just as
easy to control the look.  No advantage there.

> AJAX for visual correction of a true C/S feel for your app.

Ok, but the winform app does this easily if done right, imo, so no
"magic" required.