On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 9:10 PM, Ricardo Araoz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At least nothing new that I dislike.

Must be nice. Then again, I guess I made that decision about DotNet.

> Well, you left out the math module and the os module and the file module
> and the i/o module and the curses module and ...... But hey, what's left
> for the language then? About 12 reserved words?

For the "classic" languages, that's true: those languages that came
out of academia or computer scientists: LISP, Fortran, C, C++, there's
usually a pretty limited vocabulary. It tends to be vendors who throw
in everything including the kitchen sink.

> But the point is you could deploy applications WITHOUT them if you
> choose to. I'd rather keep that choice.

You can do that on web site. I have URLs that return only text, only
XML, only a graphic.  You don't have to return gaudy pages fully of
splashy graphics and dancing Flash files. I'd prefer you didn't :)

> Oh! Wow! I wish we had XML in desktop apps! You've convinced me!

Smartaleck! Are you intentionally missing the point or just avoiding it?

When I was talking about XML in a web app, I'm thinking of the XHTML
the search engines can parse, the RSS and Atom and other microformats
you can use to advertise your application or services, offer
subscriptions or publish data. You can do that with your desktop app,
too.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC