Ted Roche wrote:
> On 11/4/08, Ricardo Araoz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> So you have to learn XHTML, CSS, Javascript, how they integrate, plus
>> some php (?). Add to that the lovely little traps Billy has set in IE.
>>

> You can choose to learn nothing new.

At least nothing new that I dislike.

>> Hmmm. Get Python and it runs on those three. And you only have to learn
>> one language (and it is a pleasurable experience).
>
> Unless you want a UI. Then you need to learn wx. (Or Qt, or...) and
> then a report writer language. And the SQL/DDL for the database.
> There's always parts.

Well, you left out the math module and the os module and the file module
and the i/o module and the curses module and ...... But hey, what's left
for the language then? About 12 reserved words?

> VFP integrated in a DDL,  low-level file functions, interface
> terminology, a merge (template) language and SQL _into_ VFP and
> claimed it was all one language. Was it one language or one product
> with several domain-specific languages integrated into it? It's an
> angels-on-a-pin argument for linguists, perhaps, but the point is that
> you're always integrating in different pieces that have to be handled
> their own way, whether that's Stonefield's Data Dictionary with
> CodeBook with Mac's PowerTools and Tim Rettig's utilities.

But the point is you could deploy applications WITHOUT them if you
choose to. I'd rather keep that choice.

> No, XML, a document, easily internationalized, recognized and
> validatable standard format. Entire documents can be downloaded,
> parsed, analyzed and categorized for content, keywords and, with the
> Semantic Web, meaning so that your site can advertise itself to search
> engines.

Oh! Wow! I wish we had XML in desktop apps! You've convinced me!