Yes, that does seem to be the case.

I suspect you are right - in the case of an app like a game, the app remembers
all of my history through all updates.  I have often thought that you could
define a "workspace" that would keep the current session as a history, then
when restarting the app (even after killing it, or not using it for a long
time), the session in progress would still be live. I think a lot of people
would like that. Of course, there should be a way to }clear the session --- I
am not proposing to revert to something like the WS structure in APL - but it
is really nice to have the input log carry over from session to session. I make
a LOT of use in that  when using jconsole in Apple Terminal.

So, I deleted J and did a clean install from the App Store (the J download is
tiny compared to most...) - then i see

   jjget_jj_
3 : 0
y jjget~ (y i:'/'){.y
:
target=. x [ source=. y
st=. 'ftype y'jjdo source
'source is not a file or folder'assert 0~:st
mkdir_j_ target
'target is not a folder'assert 2=ftype target
t=. target,(source i:'/')}.source
if. 1=st do.
 d=. 'fread y' jjdo source
 'write to target failed'assert (#d)=d fwrite t
else.
 'tar y'jjdo 'c';TAR;source;''
 d=. 'fread y' jjdo TAR
 d fwrite TAR
 tar 'x';TAR;t
end.
'OK'
)

quite different from the previous result. Also

   jj 0
         jjset 'ip:port pswd'
[target] jjget source
[target] jjput source
'...'    jjdo  y

source is .../FILE or .../FOLDER
to put in target folder

elided target is ... from source

NB. seems to be what you were expecting. Although I recall seeing the load of
jj.ijs in an earlier instance...

   >nl_jj_ &,> 0 3
TAR
URL
jjdo
jjget
jjput
jjset
posttemplate
test

   test_jj_
3 : 0
mkdir_j_'~temp/jj'
ferase {."1 fdir'~temp/jjx*'
ferase {."1 fdir'~temp/jjy/*'
ferase {."1 fdir'~temp/jjz/*'
'abc'fwrite'~temp/jjx/a'
'~temp/jj/b'jjput'~temp/jjx/a'
'~temp/jj/c'jjget'~temp/jjx/b'
assert fexist (<'~temp/jjx/'),each ;:'a b c'

'~temp/jjy'jjput'~temp/jjx'
assert fexist (<'~temp/jjy/'),each ;:'a b c'
'~temp/jjz'jjget'~temp/jjy'
assert fexist (<'~temp/jjz/'),each ;:'a b c'
)

~~~

Now I want to go reinstall my start.ijs and some working files that I had in
place - fortunately, having iExplorer makes that reasonably easy.

So, progress is being made.