Actually not too tedious, the copy paste across devices combined with your
jsetcb '...  avoided having to retype everything.

Some added thoughts about this - I started from a clean start (if not install)
by killing the J task then restarting it. Then, I did -

   untable >nl_jj_ &.> 0 3
TAR     URL     posttemplate
jjdo    jjget   jjput   jjset

NB. This was without loading jj.ijs, so _jj_ locale seems to have already been
there.  That followed by -

   jjget_jj_
4 : 0
target=. x [ source=. y
select. 'ftype y'jjdo source
case. 1 do.
 d=. 'fread y' jjdo source
 mkdir_j_ (target i: '/'){.target NB. ensure path
 'write to target failed'assert (#d)=d fwrite target
case. 2 do.
 'tar y'jjdo 'c';TAR;source;''
 d=. 'fread y' jjdo TAR
 d fwrite TAR
 mkdir_j_ target
 tar 'x';TAR;target
case. do.
 'source is not a file or folder'assert 0
end.
)

May be what you were requesting.

A thought occurred to me that you will notice my own tool from profile (unable)
that is loaded on startup across all my j installations. My thought was that
perhaps your "clean install" didn't have to contend with an existing start.ijs
script file. But the first line in above would seem to indicate that it isn't
necessary in this case.

Oh, there was one somewhat tedious bit that I don't understand (but is probably
one of those "thousands of settings" you mentioned) I could not simply use
jsetcb '... and then past into this email. I had to first paste it into Pages
on the iPhone (probably could have used some other app dealing with text, but I
didn't try others). Also, to be forthright, I haven't yet been able to reverse
the process (to take things from OS X back into iOS) - computers are often a
puzzle...

- joey