On Thu, 28 Apr 2011, David Aspinall wrote:

There are several reasons to suggest sf.  One is the provision of trac.

So you actually like trac? As a German I always pronounce it with a very soft "t". Seriously: I am looking for a really good issue tracker for a few years already, one that does not raise too many issues on its own.

The only positive recollection of using a tracker was that of the Mercurial developers http://mercurial.selenic.com/bts/ but I don't know which technology they actually use there. The experience might be caused mainly by the people behind it, who are tending the menagerie of bugs nicely.

I'm very keen on having a good issue tracker and haven't been impressed by what I've seen in Google code or Github when I last looked.

Google code is quite conservative, not exciting.

People often praise Github, but I have never used it myself.

I've heard bitbucket.org is nice for Mercurial although I'm not sure if it's tracker is/will become Jira (Atlassian's well respected commercial tracker tool).

Bitbucket is quite solid, I am using it occasionally. It is the standard pseudo-free hosting platform for Mercurial projects.

Another more commercial hosting platform that looks quite shiny is http://www.fogcreek.com/kiln/

This is definitely moving far away from what hardcore GNU people would
like ...

        Makarius