Roger,

> On Monday 11 Jul 2011 17:05, Rob Arthan wrote:
>
>> And presumably your docpdf calls pdflatex (which will
>> fail in just the same way as texdvi on this example, I
>> think you will find). So with this very simple example,
>> the way ProofPower.sty does it works and the workaround
>> you needed to get it working in your real example
>> doesn't work. I think the next step has to be for you to
>> try adding the style files you use to the simple example
>> to see if we can figure out which one is causing the
>> problem.
>
> I think it does, but the main differences are to do with
> processing indexes, which may not be relevant to the problem
> under discussion.
>
> Unfortunately I don't have a clue what is going on, i.e. I
> still don't understand what the problem is.

The problem is almost certainly that a style file you are using is
redefining either \not and/or \notin and/or something that these macros
depend on.

> If you would send me the test.doc file that might help me to
> understand the problem you are addressing.

I am trying to address your problem. The .doc file I was using is exactly
like the .tex file but with =TEX at the beginning. I was just trying to
suggest a quick way for you produce a minimal example of your problem, but
any convenient way of getting a reasonably short .tex file that reproduces
your problem will help.