Thanks Roger, In case you wish to see the problem more exactly attached is
the doc file and the ffslides.cls  (which you could also get at CTAN).  It
seems that for SML, the spaces are all removed!  I will look into GFT to
see how spaces are inserted. One issue might be if verbatim environment is
used?  -Dave