Rob,
The author of the Latex class ffslides (Mark Wolters) suggested I try
putting \obeyspaces right at top line of \begin{document} and that works!
Great! All the SML is now spaced correctly. That means I don't have to
post-process the tex file.  It remains
to be seen if that breaks anything else, but so far it is fine.
Thanks for the tip!  -Dave