Is your decission, but in my modestly opinion, allow unencrypted
gmail.com connections is dangerous for the jabber network. If you allow
this with gmail.com, sooner or later you will allow too facebook.com or
any other, you will always be a slave from others. Is better for your
users, teach thems to use other jabber service.