Ivan,

I've built several Athlon based CAD stations in the last few months, running
both Win98SE and Win2K. I can highly recommend the Matrox G450 as a great
general purpose 2D video card. It comes in several versions -- 16MB and 32MB.
These are "dual head" cards that allows you to connect two monitors
simultaneously and expand your windows desktop. Avoid the SDR video RAM
version, it's about half the speed of the DDR version (but dirt cheap).

It's not a particularly expensive video card, has WONDERFUL image quality, and
has good drivers for both Win98 and Win2K.

You might also look at getting the OEM version of the card, it dispenses with
the fancy packaging, but includes a VGA-to-TV cable and driver CDROM.

A good source for the card (if you don't mind buying online) is www.mwave.com.
I got the "high end" G450 32MB DDR dual had card for about $130 there. You can
get the 16MB version (which should be adequate unless you plan on high
resolution/color depth on both monitors simultaneously) for about $100.

I've been using Matrox video cards since the G200 for all my CAD stations and
have had virtually no troubles with them on Intel, AMD Socket 7 and AMD Socket
A systems using Intel and VIA chipsets.

I agree with the previous advice on the ATI cards as well. I've had plenty of
troubles with them -- mostly driver related. ATI is not very fast at fixing
bugs compared to Matrox, in my experience.

Matt Pobursky
Maximum Performance Systems