Kerry,
          Were a pretty friendly bunch here. We have to be, our software
hates us (j/k). I did catch your posting, but was rather up to my neck
in it at the time and thought "Someone will answer that..." Ok,
'Someone' must have thought that 'Someone Else' would answer it, so in
the end 'No one' answered it. Sorry.

So in answer to your question: No, unfortunately there is no setting for
the DRC that detects hangers, or stubs or unnecessary vias. The only
tool even vaguely approximating those kind DFM type checking is the
acute angle rule, and that is a bit iffy at the best of times. Premier
EDA in the UK (www.eda.co.uk) did release an add-on for Protel 98 that
would detect duplicate pads or vias that were exactly superimposed but
it has not been re-written for 99 or 99SE as far as I know.

To the best of my knowledge the initiation ceremony for this forum
involving the chicken and the jar of mayonaise was abandoned with
Service Pack 4...

Regards,

Rob Malos,
Cyborg Design.