I'm sure that filling vias with solder will enhance via reliability, but
wave soldering seems to be going by the wayside (albeit slowly).
for thru hole stuff people are going to intrusive (or invasive)
soldering which is squirting a bit paste in the hole and then putting
thru the oven with the rest of the reflow
bye bye wave
for the remaining cases where that doesn't work people are often using
selective fountain spray soldering
so this means that in the long those vias aren't going to get filled and
will have to posses adequate quality without being filled (IMHO)

Dennis Saputelli