I move all my designators to a specific mechanical layer (since
I don't have them on the silkscreen). Then it's only a matter of
including the layer in the printout.

Actually, I use two mech layers, one for top and the other for
bottom, so that a "Top Build" printout only includes designators
required on that side of the PCB. I'd put the comments on these
layers too, if I used them.

Cheers,

John Haddy