Thanks John and Geoff,

    I had thought along these lines but it would mean changing the system
here at work (not always easy!)

    Actually I had attempted something similar back in the Protel for
Windows days. At the time I had major problems moving the text fields to a
couple of the MidLayers (not enough mechanical layers back then).
Unfortunately at that time Protel used the layer that the Comments /
Designators occupied to define whether the component occupied the Top or
Bottom side of the PCB (according to Protel). Moving these strings to a
MidLayer resulted in them all being dumped at the origin with the text
changed to the word 'comment'.

    I had heard that this situation had changed with the more recent
releases of the software although I had not revisited this method. It sounds
like the time is now right to try again.

    Thanks again guys for your help and advice.

Best Regards,

LINDEN DOYLE
Product Development Engineer
Zener Electric Pty Ltd