Hello Rob,

Thanks for the response, at first instance i also was thinking that the rule
was used during autorouting only.

But if you look at the 'Design Rules' dialog and click at the 'Routing Via
Style' in the Rule Classes, then there appears a piece of text and a drawing
in the right side of the dialog. The text explains the 'Routing Via Style'
rule and it tells that the preferred attributes are used for manual or
autorouting.
The last line of the this text is:

  'The maximum and minimum via attributes are checked by the on-line and
batch DRC'

This line of text gave me the hope that it would work in the same way as the
'Clearance Constraint'.

The same text can be found at page 542 in the handbookp99se.pdf file which
could be downloaded from the www.protel.com site.

Thanks for your time,

Aalt Lokhorst (e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED])

address:
          Schut Geometrische Meettechniek bv
          Duinkerkenstraat 21
          9723 BN  Groningen, The Netherlands