Aalt,
       The answer to you problem is simple but unfortunately the answer is not
very satisfactory. The DRC does NOT check the Routing Via Style rule. This rule
is just used by the router, and when vias are placed automatically during manual
tracking. If you do require a change in the default via size then just use a
global change. I just found this out myself even though I have been using Protel
for ages. Found out in the usual way, shipped a job with an error :(
Luckily it was not serious :) Via holes were 28 thou and not 0.6mm (about 24
thou)

This occured because I forgot that Protel does not bother to keep a separate
record of via hole sizes when it exports a job to Specctra and Specctra does not
care about hole at all. By default Protel uses 28 thou.

Not sure about the second problem without investigating it.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Rob Malos,
Cyborg Design.