As the guilty party who triggered this digression, I feel constrained to
contribute.  The change evidently occurred when I was out of the country
(military stuff) and I failed to notice it for over thirty years.  My 1966
Handbook of Chemistry & Physics gives US Inch = 25.40005 millimeters and
British Inch = 25.39998 millimeters.  While my 1970 CRC Standard
Mathematical Handbook gives it as US Inch = 25.4 millimeters.  Since 99SE
offers the choice of "metric or imperial", just which one do they actually
use?  Anyone taking bets???

Bye from Duane Hague (no response required)