Depends on the format of the original.  0.1inch is far more accurate than 2.54mm
because 0.1 = 0.100000..............

If you go with the sequence 2.54, 1.27, 0.635 or 0.1, 0.05, 0.025 the imperial
system
is the more accurate as it has more decimal places. For high pin count devices
it
could become critical.

0.0196 inch would be a rounded 0.5 mm?  but if you get your calculator out  (and
you
use 1 inch = 25.4mm) it actually  becomes 0.49784mm. Best bet is to toggle
protel
between imperial or metric [q] and design using the format in the datasheet. If
you
did convert it from metric, your 0.5 mm becomes 0.019685 inches and that is not
0.02
inches

The other problem is the Protel wizard requires the dimensions of the centres of
the
pads in a different style than shown on the datasheets. You have to figure out
the
extra clearance and it always pays to do a 1:1 print and drop your part on the
paper
 to see if it fits ok.

Clive Broome
IDT Sydney Design Centre        Ph:         +61 2 9763 3513
8 Bayswater Dr, Homebush        Fax:        +61 2 9763 3409
Sydney,  NSW, 2127              Email:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Australia

         Australia's Leading Semiconductor Designers

Phillip Stevens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 03/06/2001 03:15:35 AM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]