At 12:43 PM 3/10/01 +0100, Rudolf Schaffer wrote:

>When using Only Ports Global in a flat design,
>how can i avoid ERC warning messages
>(with default matrix) for unconnected inputs
>without WIRING all the ports in the master sheet
>containing the sheet symbols?

Only Ports Global is used, as mentioned, in a flat design. Because they are
global, there is no need for master sheet connections. If an input is
flagged with a warning as open, it is because it is open, and because
unconnected inputs have been set for warnings in the matrix.

The default matrix is not satisfactory for all purposes. If it isn't
working for you, why not change it?

I set my error matrix to detect *all* unconnected pins, and when I place
parts and intend that a pin remain unconnected, I place a No-ERC directive
on the pin. If I forget to do this, it is easy to find and fix!

In general, one can suppress error and warning messages by placing a No-ERC
directive on the place where the error marker appears. But use this
sparingly, and using it to suppress warnings where off-sheet connections
are involved is like putting a penny in a fuseholder. It might work and it
might not do any harm....

However, I find that a port connected to an input pin suppresses the
unconnected and floating warnings for that pin unconditionally, so I really
do not understand the question. I even set the ERC matrix to show a warning
for an input port connected to an input pin, and no warning was generated.
This is a bug, I believe.

As I have mentioned before, the whole ERC situation needs careful review.
It could be substantially improved.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690