Michael,
             You are not alone with having experienced this problem. I
was doing
some designs for a company one of which was a large backplane with and
another
with 15 356 pin BGAs plus a great deal of associated circuitry.
Originally both
were done in 98, but when it came to do some later revisions thought I
would try
99SE. I was particularly keen to try it with the backplane as it had a
number of
overlapping polygon pours which were painfully slow to repour in 98 (45
mins
each on an 800MHz Althlon system). Unfortunately 99SE struggled badly
with the
netlist for the backplane but was then faster for the polygons (a bit).
When it
came to tackle the design with the 15 BGAs on it just coughed and died.
Like
you, I never bothered to try to track down the source of the problem.
Mentioned
it to tech support here in the UK in the hope that something would get
back to
Protel, but...

Mostly I like 99SE, but at the moment I am doing more modest designs. I
don't
exactly HATE 98, but I am not an avid fan of it either.

Regards,

Rob Malos,
Cyborg Design.

* To join or leave this list visit: