> I don't call those medium to large designs, I call them very large
designs.
> The largest design I've ever encountered in my entire career -- so far --
> was 8000 pins. Pins, not nets. I didn't do it -- impossible with Tango --
> but I vaguely recall that some company did the job for about $20,000. An
> 8000 net board is at least twice as large as that.

After starring at a monitor for 60 -70 hours a week I guess  I loose sight
(no pun intended) of what is a large design.  When I started doing design
work independently, I would take on  really small jobs but soon after
loosing money on small jobs, I decided not to bid or waste my time on small
designs because that translated in to small customers paying small amounts
of  $$$ which in turn made my already small operation even smaller.  8000
pins aint a whole lot...maybe I am still under bidding because I could never
command 20K for 8000 pins.  I could probably turn a design like that in 2- 3
weeks most, closer to 2 which would be hard to justify 20 K to customer for
2 weeks of work.

> > There should be no macros, except that if there are multiple pads
(more than one pad for a given pad name), there will, at current rev, be
some remove net macros; they are easy to recognize. Hopefully, Protel will
fix this bug.> >

As far as identifying this as a bug....my feelings are if I understand the
problem, and can work around it with a satisfactory  and reliable method,
then the "BUG" isn't really a problem.   I have been following all of the
threads on pads, nets, etc.  and will admit that there are many undocumented
work arounds that will satisfy most "bugs".   I think the list of real bugs
has significantly decreased since 99SE was released.
I think  the guys writing code are chasing more internal wrinkles in the
program than user stuff.   They outdid themselves, but I still would like to
see a netlist load so fast that I don't have time to take a sip of coffee.

Later,

Mike Reagan
EDSI

* To join or leave this list visit: