On Fri, 04 May 2001 15:02:57 -0700, Brad Velander wrote:

>Does anybody have any comments on the Tasking purchase? Any fears?
>
>Protel CSC, any comments, official statements, any promises?
>
>       My fear is that it will severely impact the ongoing development and
>support of the existing SCH & PCB design package. Seems Protel wants a tool
>for all seasons, flavors and every electronics company worldwide. Is that
>possible with their meager means or are we doomed to falling support levels
>for the SCH and PCB aspects of their offerings? Will new development and
>improvements be overtaxed with non SCH or PCB matters?

I was a little surprised. I don't see that Schematic capture and PCB CAD
are in any way related to compilers for embedded systems other than
customers for one will often be potential customers for the other.

I don't see much point in trying to integrate the Tasking tools in Design
explorer.

Protel seems to be on an extended buying spree, maybe Tasking looked like a
good buy, maybe Tasking will benefit from Protel's marketing and
distribution channels (or maybe not).

Remember they bought Accolade (PeakVHDL simulator thing) just about 2 years
ago. It isn't integrated in Design explorer (yet?), it still has some
information on the Protel web site but only if you search for it. The
linked 'home' site http://www.peakvhdl.com/ seems to be dead.

What the heck happened to it and did it affect Protel99  development and
support?

I think an HDL logic design package would sit in Design Explorer better
than an embedded C compiler but it didn't happen (yet).

I thought I might be in for a better deal on a Tasking Compiler, but just
upgraded the Keil one I have regardless.

I would not worry about it - what good does worrying do anyway.

Cheers, Terry.

* To join or leave this list visit: