> >Does anybody have any comments on the Tasking purchase? Any fears?
> >
> >Protel CSC, any comments, official statements, any promises?
> >
> > My fear is that it will severely impact the ongoing development and
> >support of the existing SCH & PCB design package. Seems Protel wants a
tool
> >for all seasons, flavors and every electronics company worldwide. Is that
> >possible with their meager means or are we doomed to falling support
levels
> >for the SCH and PCB aspects of their offerings? Will new development and
> >improvements be overtaxed with non SCH or PCB matters?
>
> I was a little surprised. I don't see that Schematic capture and PCB CAD
> are in any way related to compilers for embedded systems other than
> customers for one will often be potential customers for the other.

Combine VHDL + Schematic front end + PCB + MCU Compiler & you have a mighty
little package for working on SOC ( System on Chip - Briefly : A fast AVR
with a FPGA ) designs.

Prottle signed up with Atmel recently for tool development & Atmel are
having problems with the high price of all the bits which make up the devel
kit for the AT94 SOC. Some of the current front ends for FPGA development
systems are pretty appalling ( Synplicity flies to mind ) so Schematic would
be welcome.

Whether they can put it all together this century remains to be seen as I
would imagine that it would be a complex task.  ( Complex task + Prottle =
Cold sweat ;-)

I suspect Atmel would like to make the AT94 family a popular & readily
useable device ( we'd like that ;-) but to do so they would have to provide
an alternative to the current devel system as it only suits the big guys
with the cash available to cover the ongoing license fees.

The availability of an entry level system at a reasonable price would
greatly improve their chances of making the AT94 a hit like the rest of the
AVR family.  The principle has worked well for Xilinx with the WebDesign
package & has greatly increased the use of Xilinx parts.

Then again this may have nothing to do with their plans...

Cheers
Don Ingram

* To join or leave this list visit: